Even young children can benefit from a dental exam, as soon as they have 4 teeth in their mouth. Dr. Villarreal will teach you how to care for your child’s teeth and mouth. Toddlers and older children can be taught about proper brushing and flossing techniques, reinforcing the importance of dental care and oral hygiene in their life.
Typical Children Dental Exams Involve:
- Checking for stains on teeth
- Assessing the risk of tooth decay and gum disease
- Diagnostic x-rays to check for tooth decay, cysts, tumors, tooth position, and bone loss
- Checking the condition and fit of any restorations or prosthetic replacements – veneers, dentures, implants, crowns, bridges
- Assessing the entire mouth – lips, cheeks, roof and floor of the mouth, jaw, neck for any problems
- Checking for oral cancer
A dental exam and professional cleaning takes less than one hour. Depending on the results of the exam, Dr. Villarreal will recommend an appropriate date for your next dental appointment, which could be in six months, or earlier or later. If dental treatment is necessary, you will need to schedule a meeting as soon as possible.